Friday, November 30, 2012

Who says horses only leave hoofprints on one's heart?!?



The list of things I am thankful for continues to grow:

Dear friends, near and far who know me so well and love me anyway.
Albs with pockets.
Chapstick.
Riding helmets.
Madelaine's extra toes.

As promised, here is an update on Zoe's progress, or backslide perhaps it is better called. Last Sunday afternoon I was content and satisfied. Both services had gone well, I was happy with how my sermon turned out, and Sunday school was a blast. To nap or ride Zoe? With some encouragement from my mom, I drug myself off my pillow to go for a Sunday afternoon ride, and that felt great too... until.... Zoe was a bit hot, but not unusually hot.  Trotting quite nicely around the outside of the ring, we passed another horse (Zoe's friend Bernard).  I was waiting for her to pull something silly and was ready, but one can never be ready for anything.  I remember feeling her come up under me and the next thing I remember was the CRACK my helmet made as it hit the ground. I saw hooves scrambling around me and then she was gone.  The stars were spectacular.  Quite a meteor shower...too bad it was my very own private one and couldn't share it with anyone else!  Being stubborn and stupid as I am, I staggered around until I caught a wild snorting mare floating around with her tail in the air. Got back on for 2 minutes and decided that was a bad idea. Pounding head, churning stomach, crossed eyes... time to go home.  Thanks to my dear friend who drown me in coffee to keep me up all night.  4 days later, most of the aches are gone, but the hoof print bruise and headache are still holding on. 



Time for a new helmet. A week of lunging after a week of recovery.

Pax.



No comments:

Post a Comment