Friday, September 30, 2011

On to Dresden!

My class in Bremen, missing Jawaad, Monica, Yumiko
and Marcus (taking the picture)
My last week in Bremen was beautiful--sunny and warm.  Wednesday was our last day of class and of course we had to party with yummy food...mostly chocolate!  It was sad to say good-bye to my classmates and to Teagan.  Such a short time and so many new friends.  Yesterday I began my new life in Dresden.  By the time I get done with all this traveling, I'm going to have carrying all my belongings in my own two arms down quite well!

I am already missing Teagan who was such a big help in the transition to German culture and life...and buying food!  Last night I managed to get tomato paste to go on my tortellini.  It works, just a little strange.  At least it is tomato!

My apartment in Dresden is quite lovely.  It is bright with big windows that open, on the second floor.  The bathroom is almost as big as the main room, and the kitchen is smaller than the ones in Blair House (I didn't think there was such a thing!).  I have a refrigerator, an electric water boiler thingy, a sink, and a 2-burner stove.  There is something that might be a coffee maker of some sort, but I have no idea how it might work so I'll be drinking instant coffee.  There is even a TV with one channel!



Tomorrow morning I plan to scout out the Dresden flea market, which I believe is along the Elbe River.  Other than that, I am committing the weekend to studying both German and for my independent courses through Wartburg.  I am pondering buying a used bike and the possibility of selling it back at the end of the month.  Perhaps one is better off renting one for a month? 

It won't be long before I find my way to the Altstadt (the old, restored part of Dresden).  I look forward to visiting the Frauenkirche again, a beautiful church restored after the bombings of WWII.  I am also anxious to see what else there is to find in the Altstadt!
For now, I have just eaten half the jar of peanut butter with a spoon, and being 8:30, I think my achy bones can crawl into bed.  More to come soon!



Pax.

1 comment: